Monday, February 12, 2018

Horizon Lines



        Misadventures Magazine for Winter 2017, a magazine for women who love outdoor adventures, was the first comment on horizon lines that resonated with how I felt about horizon lines.  It stated that "Recent British studies have confirmed that views of the ocean and other slow-moving expanses with horizon lines make us happier than other landscapes. Perhaps it's the feelings of awe and wonder when we look out upon oceans and endless water vistas. Gazing at the ocean is theorized to release a mix of dopamine, oxytocin, and endorphins."  

          Brooks and I have discussed if humans can have landscape imprints the way we have facial imprints.  Why is it that some people are attracted by the mountains, by the dessert, by rolling hills of wheat, or by a horizon line?  There is something visceral about my reaction to looking out at the horizon line.  It's not the same standing atop a mountain and seeing land spread out in all directions, or even thin inlets or straits.  It's the curving line of the horizon.  It keeps me coming back to the shore.

          As every New Year's since my new year in Portland, I select one word to be my theme, my motto for the year.  #oneword2018

This year my word is Horizons.  Where two items meet and blend, looking out, long-range view, new, adventure, excitement.  I'm looking forward to 2018.


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/KodiakAlaskaAerialView.JPG


No comments:

Post a Comment