No. I'm not a new age hipster making bone broth to pour in my coffee and smoothies. I'm interested in trying every recipe in Hank Shaw's Buck, Buck, Moose wild game cookbook. He references
venison broth as a recipe in many of his recipes, so I thought I would attempt this staple.
 |
| Bones we froze from hunts this summer to make broth. |
 |
| 4 pounds of venison bones |
Step 1: roast oil & salt-covered bones at 400 for roughly an hour:
 |
| Roasted bones! It smelled heavenly! |
Step 2: Put bones in a pot and cover with water. Scrape browned bits from the roast pan and add to pot. Heat to a boil. Cover & simmer overnight.
Step 3: In the morning, add the onions, carrots, celery, and spices and continue simmering for two more hours.
 |
| Simmering veggies in the broth the next morning. It smelled like Thanksgiving! |
Step 4: Strain broth and remove all ingredients not liquid.
Step 5: When your freezer is as crammed as ours, can the broth!
 |
Cooling jars of broth. I canned in
3-cup and 1-cup amounts. |
 |
| 3-cups of venison broth, canned |
 |
| The kitchen was a disaster! |
No comments:
Post a Comment