Monday, December 23, 2019

New Ski Boots

My first pair of ski boots five seasons ago were hand-me-downs of Greg.  The Kodiak community is a big family; I mentioned to a few people I was looking for a backcountry setup and immediately Lisa and Greg came to my rescue.  Greg wanted to get rid of the used boots and Lisa was looking to sell her lightly used backcountry setup that was too large/long for her.  I had dynafit boots, a Volkl Nanuq set up with dynafit bindings and I was ready to go! (Lisa even picked up the one helmet at the thrift store she could put her hands on and lent me her ski bag so I could take my skis to Juneau for an upcoming weekend trip to visit Brooks back in our Kodiak-Juneau long-distance days.

The skis are still rocking but the boots have lived a long and great life.  It is difficult to get them to not slip out of the front latch of the binding due to the cavity on the boot being worn down over time.

I did some looking around online and a quick text volley with Ben sent me to ProSki Seattle for a boot fitting.  While my initial boot fitting sent me home with ill-fitting boots, their commitment to their customers that brought me there initially, ensured that when I returned with said boots, the owner of the shop sat with me for an hour trying on boots, talking about boot fit, in-bound vs. out-of-bound boot fit, widths of boots, volume of boots, different latching styles of boots, and more! 

The Dynafit Hojis I really, really wanted, but even in a size larger, my feet were not happy...
I walked away with the Dynafit TLT 8 Expedition CR W and  I LOVE these new boots!  Other than those few minutes of walking around in those too-tight boots I purchased for a week, I have NEVER had hurting fit in ski boots.  Ever.  (Knock on wood!) 

TLT 8 Expedition  CR W
As we make our plan to dash to Crystal Mountain Resort for December 24th and 25th and the following week backcountry skiing Roger's Pass and Revelstoke, I will see how these boots feel in action rather than just while I cook dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment